Çorum Museum (Çorum Müzesi) is a museum with very important assets, where works from the deep archaeological past of the city are exhibited. On the first floor of the Archaeological Art Hall in the museum, a chronological display is being made that begins with the Chalcolithic Period artifacts found during the Alacahöyük, Kuşsaray and Büyük Güllücek excavations. Alacahöyük excavation finds from the Old Bronze Age are also being exhibited in this hall. You can also see the Hüseyindede Vase, which is considered one of the most important finds of depicted artworks in the old Hittite period, in the museum.
Hittite-era artifacts uncovered in archaeological excavations within the borders of Çorum and the architectural section of the structures uncovered in Boğazköy-Hattuşa are exhibited in company with magazines, photographs and promotional signs. The bronze sword belonging to the Hittite King Tudhaliya II, which has a special place in the museum collection and a cuneiform script on it, is also displayed on the same floor.
On the second floor, which begins with documents in Hittite (tablets with cuneiform inscription), clay seal printed bullae found in archives in the Boğazköy-Hattusa excavations are chronologically followed up by tablets with cuneiform inscription and seal printed bullae, Ortaköy-Sapinuwa excavation finds. In addition to the small finds of Ortaköy-Sapinuwa excavation, seals from Hittite and contemporary periods can also be seen on this floor.
Alacahöyük Museum, which produces services depending on Çorum Museum (Çorum Müzesi), is located 45 km away from Çorum. The museum, which exhibits Chalcolithic, Old Bronze Age, Hittite and Phrygian artifacts uncovered during the Alacahöyük excavations that began in 1935, also displays the works of the Phrygian period found in the excavation of the Alaca Pazarlı Örenyeri.
The museum is in the Boğazkale district, 82 km southwest of Çorum. Boğazköy Museum is a local museum where the works uncovered in Hattusa excavations and coming to the museum from the surrounding area are stored and exhibited... In the museum, where the works of the Hittite period are predominant; Works from the Chalcolithic, Old Bronze, Hittite, Phrygian, Roman and Byzantine periods are also exhibited.
Since 1986, Hattusa, which is on the UNESCO World Heritage List has been located within the borders of Çorum province. According to Hittite written sources on UNESCO's "World Memory List", Hattusa became the capital of the Hittites when Hattusili I came to power (1665-1640 BCE). It is known that most of the buildings that remained from the city and can be traced, are from the 13th century BCE. In Büyükkale, where the royal buildings are located, ruins of a large palace have been revealed, with courtyards surrounded by masted tunnels, residences, warehouse buildings and a large reception room.
With the fall of the Hittite Empire just after 1200 BCE, the Anatolian Bronze Ages also ends. However, the settlement date of the land of Hattusa city continues. At the beginning of the 12th century BCE, the new settlement, which dates to the Early Iron Age, began to turn into a hick town reflecting the Phrygian effects and to grow only in the eighth century BCE.
The settlement in Hattusa continues during the Persian period. Hattusa also has traces of settlement and fortification belonging to the Hellenistic period, Galatians, Rome and Byzantium.
Hattusha's most impressive holy site is the Open-Air Temple of Yazılıkaya (Yazılıkaya Açık Hava Tapınağı), hidden among the high cliffs slightly outside the city. In this open-air temple used for New Year celebrations of the period, the country's important gods and goddesses are engraved in rows as reliefs on the rock. Yazılıkaya that can be visited in two sections, rooms A and B, reflects the Hittite pantheon (all ancient Gods and Goddesses) with its majestic rock descriptions. It is thought that Yazılıkaya, considered the national temple of the Hittite Empire, was isolated from the outside world by a wall during the first construction period; its second phase and the reliefs in the Grand Gallery have been built at the time of Hattusili III, and the Tudhaliya relief in the Grand Gallery, Small Gallery and the third phase of the temple at the time of Tudhaliya IV.
The national temple of the Hittite Empire, now called Yazılıkaya, is located two kilometers northeast of Hattuşaş (Boğazköy). In front of this cult site, an open-air temple built on natural rock, there are temple structures built later and belonging to three different periods. In the first period, a siege wall was built that isolated the rock temple from the outside world, in the second phase a temple was added in the Hittite tradition along with the monumental entrance structure, in the third period, the eastern wing of the main structure was transformed into a more useful entrance in front of the Small Gallery. In the relief of twelve underground gods, which are the first figures of Room A, the meeting of God Teshub and Goddess Hepat, the main subject on the back wall, is seen. At the end of the goddess figures, opposite the main scene, there is Tudhaliya IV, the greatest figure of this open-air temple.
Alacahöyük, 45 km southwest of Çorum, a very important cult (religious ceremony) and art center in the Old Bronze Age and Hittite Age. In Alacahöyük, there are four civilization ages that were uncovered; The Age of The First Civilization; is represented by Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk-Ottoman periods. On the first cultural floor, the mound was completely inhabited during the Late Phrygian Era. This floor of small houses, according to its ceramics, is no older than 650 BCE. The typical unfortified representative of the Hittite Imperial Age that is built on a plain, with its sanctuary, large buildings, private block houses, streets, great and small aqueducts, city wall, one of them sphinx decorated with embossed mid-stadiums, and the other with monumental gates with postern, forms the second cultural floor of the mound. Built with andesite blocks on a limestone foundation, the Sphinx Gate is 10 meters wide. The Alacahöyük third civilization floor is formed by the Old Bronze Age (2500-2000 BCE). Alacahöyük Old Bronze Age Dynasty Tombs, which contributed a lot to the enlightenment of the indigenous Hatti Civilization, which is the leading source of cultures that led to the Hittite culture, are the most important finds of this age.
Sapinuwa (Ortaköy), one of the important cities of the Hittite state is 53 km southeast of Çorum, around the Çekerek River. Located at a strategic point in the Hittite Era due to its political and geographical location, it is an important military and religious center. In addition to those written in Hittite, there are administrative, military, religious and fortune texts written in Hattic, Hurrian and Akkadian, in the archive of cuneiform tablets and fragments uncovered during the Ortaköy excavations and the number of which reached four thousand.
The exact construction date of the castle, which was built on a position dominant over the plain, on a low hill in the south of the city, is unknown.
The first written documents of Çorum Castle, which has Seljuk architectural features, are dated 1571. In this document, the castle is mentioned as Sultan Suleiman Charity. Evliya Çelebi, who came to Çorum in the 16th century, says that the castle in the city’s qibla direction is a Seljuk construction built by Sultan Kilij Arslan. W. F. Ainsworth narrated in his observations in Çorum in 1842 that the castle was a new structure built with old material, while the old plan was most likely preserved.
On the trade route from İstanbul to Amasya, the three sides of the castle, which is in İskilip district center and date to the Ottoman Period, are steep. The castle can only be climbed from northwest. At the foot of the cliff where the castle was built, there are rock graves belonging to the Roman Era. There is a second gate in the castle, which dates to the Seljuk Period.
Osmancık Kandiber Castle
Kandiber Castle was built on the natural rock at the northern edge of Kızılırmak in the Osmancık district center. There is a second gate in the castle, which dates to the Seljuk Period. The castle is on the trade route from İstanbul to Amasya.
Çorum Clock Tower
Çorum Clock Tower (Çorum Saat Kulesi), built in 1894 in minaret style is in the center of the city and on the round arched door to the south is a marble inscription dated 1312 with eight rows and a ruler between them. In the tower made of yellow cut sandstone, is crossed into the body with a foot having Turkish triangle motifs on an octagonal base.
Sungurlu Clock Tower
The tower was built in 1891, with a square prism body. There are small windows with round arches on each floor except the second floor. On the top floor of the tower, made of cut stone, there is a wooden pavilion with wavy fringe; underneath it is a round watch dial in four directions and a balcony with iron bars at the bottom.
The castle, located in Hacıhamza Town, is trapezoid planned. The castle, which is understood to have been built in 1723, housed the towns' people until the 1940s. Inside the castle, there is a complex of mosques, madrasahs, inns and baths.
İskilip Yivlik Akşemseddin Hz. Mosque and Tomb
The mosque was built by the son of Akşemseddin, the spiritual conqueror of Istanbul and teacher of Fatih Sultan Mehmet. The square-planned mosque, which dates to the 15th century and is about 600 years old, the mosque that was built without the use of nails was later covered with a wooden roof.
Ulucami (Murad-ı Rabi Mosque)
The mosque, built at the time of the Seljuk Sultan Aladdin Kayqubad III, took its today’s form as a result of great repairs. The mosque, which was also repaired by the grandmaster Mimar Sinan, is now known as "Sultan Murad-ı Rabi Mosque".
The pulpit of the mosque made with the technique of joining (kündekari) from the ebony tree is an important example of Turkish-Islamic art, which has largely preserved its originality even though it has seen some repairs.
Han Mosque (Gülabibey Mosque, Ömer Neftçi Mosque)
Located in Çorum Gülabibey Neighborhood; the mosque, which is called Gülabibey Mosque (Gülabibey Cami), Han Mosque (Han Cami), Ömer Neftçi Mosque (Ömer Neftçi Cami), is estimated to have been built in the Early Ottoman Period. The rectangular mosque consists of a single-domed sanctuary and a narthex with three arch eyes to its north. The narthex has three arch eyes, the middle part is covered with mirrored vault and the two sides are covered with domes.
Hıdırlık Mosque Tomb and Cemetery
The Hıdırlık Mosque (Hıdırlık Cami) is located on the Hill of Hıdırlık in the city center. To the west of the mosque, which was built with a rectangular plan using yellow cut stone, rubble stone and brick, is a shrine with symbolic coffins of Suhayb al-Rumi from the sahabah and Ubeyd Gazi.
Kalehisar Madrasah (Behramşah Madrasah)
The building, which has no construction date, shows that it is a Seljuk structure in terms of architectural features. The madrasah, which was built with rubble stone in two iwan types, was built in a plan close to the square in the direction of north south.
The building, which dates to the late Ottoman Period, is three floors and has a rectangular plan. The first floor of the building, whose windows are round arched, and the lower part of the intermediate floor are made of yellow cut stone and the upper part is made of brick.
İskilip Redif Barracks
The building, which is located in the İskilip district and dates to the Late Ottoman Period, has a rectangular plan and two floors except the basement. The barracks, one of the most important historical assets of the district, has a late Ottoman period architecture of the 20th century.